Membership in the GAR began to swell in the mid-1880s, reaching their peak membership by 1890. In 1884 the local unit reorganized and over 100 members enlisted. At that time the unit was named in …
Membership in the GAR began to swell in the mid-1880s, reaching their peak membership by 1890. In 1884 the local unit reorganized and over 100 members enlisted. At that time the unit was named in honor of John Peller, a recently deceased veteran who served in Company A of the First Minnesota. Peller Post #89 of the GAR held regular meetings and even published a newsletter, The Bugle Call, beginning in January 1886. The Pioneer Room has xerox copies of the membership sign-up sheets in their records.
The GAR Flag in the Pioneer Room is framed under glass; it measures approximately 40”x19”. It is partially printed and partially hand painted. At the top of the fabric panel a black and yellow eagle is printed; at the bottom of the panel is a circle with “Grand Army of the Republic 1861 Veteran 1866” printed with four human figures at the center of the circle. An American flag with 13 stars is painted in the center of the panel. The flag is yellowed overall and there are various discolorations throughout the flag. A fabric conserver was consulted for an estimate of what steps would need to be done to reduce the yellowing and preserve the flag. Because the flag contains printed and painted sections this will impact what techniques can be used on the flag. After its refurbishment it needs to be archivally framed to increase circulation and prevent further damage. The conserver’s initial estimate was close to $2000 which did not include the actual frame. An estimated additional $500 would be needed for an archival frame.
The Pioneer Room is accepting tax-deductible donations for the preservation of this textile. Checks can be made out to Pioneer Room and mailed to City Hall at 104 East Fourth Street, Hastings, 55033.
The GAR was dissolved in 1956 at the death of its last member, Albert Woolson of Duluth, MN.