Journal welcomes new reporter to staff

Posted 3/16/22

Staff report The Journal welcomes a part-time reporter and graphic designer to its staff, Minnesota native and UWRiver Falls graduate Brooke Shepherd. Shepherd, who currently lives in Stillwater, …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Journal welcomes new reporter to staff

Posted

Staff report

The Journal welcomes a part-time reporter and graphic designer to its staff, Minnesota native and UWRiver Falls graduate Brooke Shepherd.

Shepherd, who currently lives in Stillwater, graduated from UWRF in December 2021 with a double-major in journalism and companion animal science, and a Spanish minor.

“Journalism is a passion that found me,” Shepherd said. “Since I can remember, I have loved writing. Before I could spell, I would fill notebooks with scribbled lines. I began at the university with an animal science degree, but it still felt like something was missing. During my sophomore year, I added the second major and joined the campus newspaper.”

This is where things started moving in the right direction, Shepherd said. She became assistant editor of the Student Voice right away, despite having no experience, and had to quickly learn how to do newspaper designs and layouts, engage with staff, generate story ideas, and keep things flowing at the news organization. The experience was invaluable, and Shepherd remained in various forms of leadership for the rest of her time at the university.

“Journalism excited me because of its fierce dedication to the public, its watchdog mentality, and its truthseeking nature,” Shepherd said. “I also love being able to share people’s stories for them, in a way that is honest and transparent. My science background has made me committed to research and verification, which ties in nicely to journalism. I have been studying Spanish for almost two decades now, which has taught me a profound appreciation for other cultures and perspectives.”

Shepherd is pleased to be reporting in her home state for the first time and is looking forward to connecting with the communities through her coverage.

“A lot of my writing in the past has centered around diversity, and issues affecting minority groups. This is something I see myself continuing to implement once I get a feel for things,” Shepherd said. “Overall, I’m grateful for the privilege and opportunity to cover these towns, and I hope to learn a lot and become a better journalist.”

Journal Publisher John McLoone counts the newspaper lucky to welcome a journalist of Shepherd’s caliber.

“Brooke’s work is top-notch. Her skill set makes her the perfect addition for our goal of being a great local newspaper,” McLoone said.

Shepherd can be reached at [email protected]